So I knew Unity was awesome. I never realised how awesome! Let me list a few things that make working in Unity the best decision I’ve made in my whole career.
1) Scripting in C#
- c# in Unity gives you full auto complete and a great debugger using Mono Develop.
- Scripts update live as you edit them even when the game is running.
- The game never crashes when your scripts crash (not so true with infinite loops but you can’t win em all).
- Public variables are exposed to the editor automagically.
- You can then edit them on the fly even while the same is running.
2) Asset Importing
- Art asset importing is really straight forward. We figured it all out in half a day including animation, shaders and meshes.
- PhysX is pretty darn good.
- There is an automagic convex hull generator for any mesh.
- You can author animations inside of Unity.
- They are the same as animations imported from other programs so I can make place-holder animations while I wait for shiny artist made one.
- Animation events! you can call any script function on an object from a time in an animation. You can also pass parameters to those functions.
- Animation curves are their own object so I can use them for anything, like…. acceleration curves on a player character. The animation curves are exposed and editable on the fly in the editor just like any other variable.
5) Cross platform
6) Unity community.
- If you can think of it, there’s probably already a solution for it on the Unity Community forums. Like for example a visual Shader editor that’s free and more featured and better integrated than other applications like mental mill. Strumpy-Shader-Editor
There’s are just a few reasons why I’m really enjoying working with Unity.